Camp David Catoctin Mountain, Md.
1,900 ft. (579.1 m)
|Frederick County, Maryland, USA|
+39.648333N -77.466667 W
November of 1965 to Camp David
Camp David was originally built as a camp for federal government agencies and their families, by the WPA, starting in 1935, opening in 1938. About Camp David
|Entrance to the Presidential Retreat (1942)|
Main Entrance to Camp David
Presidents Kennedy and Johnson rarely utilized Camp David. It was President Nixon's favorite retreat when he was in Washington, not only for relaxing and meeting with foreign dignitaries, but also for working. Nixon approved extensive modernization of the facilities at the camp, including major renovation to Aspen Lodge, installation of a helicopter pad, new figure-eight swimming pool, bowling alley, and skeet shooting range. There are now 11 residence cabins, including the main guest cabin, which is presently called "Laurel." The President utilizes a three-room cottage, named "Birch," as an office.
Originally a barracks and mess hall Hickory was renovated in the early 60’s, it is now the center of activities while staying at Camp David. Hickory now contains a lounge and bar, a movie theater, as well as a two lane bowling alley and a game room with two pool tables.Originally a barracks and mess hall Hickory was renovated in the early 60’s, it is now the center of activities while staying at Camp David. Hickory now contains a lounge and bar, a movie theater, as well as a two lane bowling alley and a game room with two pool tables.
|Hickory Lodge (1956)|
|The lounge in Hickory Lodge with dance floor|
|Camp David swimming pool (1966)|
|The pool bath house (1965)|
|Staff Swimming Pool (2014)|
|Aspen Lodge with new swimming pool (1969)|
Camp David is a U.S. Navy installation, commanded by a Naval Commander. Sailors are mostly Seabees and most officers are in the civil engineering field. The Navy Seabee Detachment performs maintenance and beautification. Some of the sailors include: grounds and maintenance personnel, electricians, carpenters, corpsmen, and the President's cooks (culinary specialists). The White House Communications Agency (WHCA) provided all of the necessary voice and data communications and maintains the electronic fence surrounding the facility. The Marine Guard provided all of the physical security